About 3 weeks ago, I started the process of renaming and rebranding eMoms at Home. To say this has been an emotional and intellectual roller coaster ride would likely be the understatement of the century.
- I was rather fascinated and surprised to find out that renaming eMoms to something like eParents would go over like a lead balloon.
- I was astonished to find hair remaining on my head after coming face to face with the booming domain squatting industry (grrrr… don’t get me started).
- And then I found myself somewhat lamenting the changes around here, realizing that in order to grow I had to let go of some things that were deeply important to me.
So I know you’re wondering, and I hate to keep you waiting, so yes, we’ve found a name. And I’ll tell you what it is. Soon. Very soon.
But an unexpected casualty of this whole naming process was that I didn’t know what to do with my own blog on the network with this new name. And this is where I need to tell you that yes, there are going to be bigger changes around here than just a new name.
I was actually having an email conversation about it with Darren Rowse last night; here’s part of what I wrote:
I never liked that my blog was the same name as eMoms at Home – I thought it was confusing. But in order to continue to be the ‘flagship’ blog of my own network, I realized I couldn’t be focused so much on Moms or blogging anymore, which was difficult for me personally. It’s really important to me to continue to provide support to the blogging community and to moms, even though I can’t do it directly anymore.
I really was only able to be OK with that decision by adding some blogs to our network to cover these topics on a more in depth level. And moving forward my own blog will shift focus a bit to be more entrepreneurial, especially because I’m thinking of doing some much bigger things with the site under our new name.
Before you go getting worried, I’m still the same eMom. I’ll still write about internet business. And my kids. Promise. I’ll just be doing that a little less and talking more about business building a little more.
I believe that blogging as a business has changed drastically, even since I started doing it. And I believe there needs to be less focus on monetizing blogs, and instead more focus on building sustainable online businesses that can work for you, while allowing you to actually live life, too. Yeah, that’s probably better expanded upon in a separate blog post. Too much to talk about there.
So what will be changing at eMoms at Home?
Next week, we are going to relaunch this site and…
- We’ll have a new name and a new URL. Everything will be redirected, but we’d certainly love you forever if you could update your bookmarks. (We’d love you even more if you could update your links to our site.)
- The eMoms Original Recipe blog will have a new name, but I will be keeping the same RSS feed address.
- We will be launching 2 new blogs next week, The Home Office Organizer & Believer in Balance.
- Every week for the following 4 weeks after that, we will be adding 2 more new blogs to the “BrandNewName” Blog Network. If you are math challenged like me, that’s 10 new blogs.
- And of course, what rebrand and rename would be complete without the obligatory kickass contests. So be sure to drop by to get free goodies.
But wait, you ask, what the heck is the new name?! Well, remember that I mentioned a conversation with Darren Rowse about this? He knows our new name. And because I truthfully can give Darren boatloads of credit for the success of eMoms at Home, I figured I might just let him tell you.