Making dinner can be easy, fun, and impressive. I’ll share one of my favorite recipes that even the most kitchen inept can’t mess up, then I’ll follow that up with how to set up the evening. A big part of impressing the wife is not only putting food on the table, but doing it in a way that sets the right mood. Let me know how it goes!
In addition to the recipe below, you’ll need the following things:
- cloth napkins
- non-scented candles
Black Bean, Avocado & Salsa Dip
- 1 Can of Black Beans (make sure the ingredients only say beans, water, salt)
- 1 Large Avocado (buy organic, or barring that, find one that is deep purple in color & tender to the touch)
- 1 8 oz container of Pico De Gallo or other fresh salsa
- 2 Limes
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin (more or less to taste)
- 2 – 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 Large bag of tortilla chips
Heat the beans in a medium saucepan over medium heat. While the beans are heating, mince the garlic and add that to the beans with the cumin. Once the beans are bubbling, reduce heat to warm.
Cut the avocado out of the shell. The easiest way to do that is by following the steps in this video:
Now that you’re done laughing at the word testicle, let’s move on.
Cut the limes in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl that you have placed the avocado in. Add the Pico de Gallo, and with the back of a fork, mix the pico and the avocado pieces, smashing the avocado. This gives you a nice, chunky guacamole dip.
Remove the beans from the burner and pour into a medium sized serving bowl. With a potato masher or the back of a fork, smash the beans into a chunky paste.
Set the table with chairs placed close to each other, within easy reach of where you’ll place the food. Put a plate at each chair, along with a cloth napkin. Place the bean dip and guacamole on the table in their respective bowls, and pour a whole bunch of chips into a large bowl next to the dip. Put small serving spoons in each bowl of dip.
Next, place your candle holders and candles on the table, just at the edge of the food. Light the candles and you’ve got a candle-light dinner for two – that was easy!
- Finish the food in time to clean up everything but the serving dishes.
- Have chocolates & your favorite relaxing beverage chilled and ready in the bedroom along with another set of candles.